Schedule annual furnace maintenance
Regular maintenance of your furnace will improve its efficiency and
extend its life. You should have your furnace inspected and serviced every other year during the summer or fall in order to reduce the costs of operating your system.
Step by step:
- In the fall or early winter, hire a professional to perform heating system maintenance.
- There is no industry standard for a heating system check-up. See this helpful checklist for a list of maintenance tasks the technician should provide. Ask the technician what specific services will be included to get a sense of how comprehensive the tune-up is.
Good to know:
- Furnace and boiler manufacturers recommend annual maintenance by a qualified technician. Many have language in their warranties saying that damage to the system caused by improper maintenance is not covered under warranty.
- A heating professional can also help you avoid health hazards, such as carbon monoxide leaks.
- Regular maintenance can help you catch a problem before your heating system stops working in the middle of the night on a cold winter night.
- Maintenance will also extend the life of the heating system.