Choose an efficient heating system
In the colder months, heating may account for the largest part of your energy use. If your heating system is more than 15 years old and needs to be replaced, choose an efficient model.
What to look for:
- ENERGY STAR® label. These models are up to 15% more efficient than conventional models.
- The right size. Your contractor should use a rigorous method to choose the right size for your home. He or she should go beyond square footage or the size of your current unit to make this determination. Consulting current industry standards is key.
- A reputable licensed contractor.
- Comfort features. Advanced furnaces may include variable-speed fan motors and modulating gas valves that provide more comfort.
- Correct placement. When installing a new heating system, your contractor should consult the model's manual carefully to put the unit in the optimal place, including allowing adequate room around the unit to allow for service and maintenance.
Things to think about: Before replacing your heating system, consider improving the insulation and air sealing in your home. This improvement may reduce the size of the system you need.