Upgrade to an efficient dryer
Clothes dryers use more energy than any other household appliance and they are a big contributor to your monthly energy bill. If you are planning to replace your clothes dryer, choose one that can help reduce your energy costs and make drying your clothes more convenient.
What to look for:
- An ENERGY STAR® certified model. Certified models can use up to 20% less energy than conventional dryer models due to their smart-drying features.
- A moisture sensor. This automatically shuts off the machine when your clothes are dry.
- Different settings for drying temperature. Look for an "air fluff" or similar setting that uses little or no heat.
- Different settings for drying time. This accommodates differences in the weight of clothing and the amount of time it needs to dry.
- The right size for your needs.
Good to know: When installing a dryer, use rigid venting material instead of plastic vents that may collect lint. Plastic vents can cause exhaust vent blockages that increase drying times and are fire hazards.